Monday, February 23, 2009

Negative

Just a quick note, with much anticipation today I found out that I am negative for the BRCA gene! My odds are not all that bad after all. The geneticist still insists that my breast cancer is inherited, but not by the BRCA gene. She thinks that with the strong history of colon cancer in my family that I may be positive for a couple of other genes that are related to colon and breast cancer. I will wait for now to do further testing. I'm just happy that I was not positive for this specific gene. With all the tests that I've been positive for in the last 6 months this would have topped it off. Surgeries are still not out the question, as since I was estrogen positive it may be a good idea to get the ovaries removed, but I will leave that up to my oncologist on what he suggests. This will no be no time soon as he wants me in remission for 1 year before considering any surgeries. It's nice to know what my result was for my family and I hope my brother is now happy as he won't be needing to do self breast exams every month. LOL!

4 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

Dearest Nicole,
Yeah - it is wonderful to hear good news!!! Stay strong.
Love ya,
Aunt Brenda

Jayme said...

Yay!!!! Jayme

Anonymous said...

Great news Nicole-we are very thankful! And thank heaven for Herceptin. Love you. Mom & Dad Henely

Anonymous said...

Nicole and Family,All of your news sounds great!We love hearing that everything is going great for you.And it sounds like you had a terrific time in Mexico and I know you missed your babies,but you needed alittle break from everything at home and you deserved it more than any.I just recieved my book I ordered today and I have glanced through it and I loved it,it's wonderful that they put this book together it is very inspiring and beautiful.Stay well and trust in the lord,God bless you and your family nicole.LOV C&D Griffin