Monday, April 6, 2009

Scan Day

A day full of scans. Well actually 2 scans and one lab draw. I had a MUGA scan in the AM, to check my heart again. This time around I got to see the pictures as they were being taken. The technologist that I've always had before would raise me so high that I could never see the screen to check out the pictures, but I had someone different today. This of course was the highlight of my day, exciting isn't it? I also learned that they mainly only take pictures of the left ventricle since this side does the most work. I'm always learning about my tests and procedures, of course I always ask the questions being the curious patient that I am. They have no problem answering me though. I had my lab for my blood draw after that and then I had my first CT scan. I usually have a PET scan, which scans my full body from the shoulders down, but this time around and probably from now on I will have a CT scan. They took pictures of my pelvic, abdomen and chest areas. It was weird to feel the "flush" feeling after they add the contrast to the IV in your arm. It makes you feel like you are peeing your pants. I'm glad that they warned my about that and didn't assumed that I have had one of these done in the past. I will receive my results on Wednesday when I meet with my oncologist, which leads me to some bad news.

I have heard through the grapevine that he will be leaving the St. Cloud area and will be moving back to where his family is from, so I am kind of upset. He has not told me yet, but I'm sure he will on Wednesday. He just started telling his patients a couple of weeks ago and I have not seen him since February. I asked the infusion nurse who she would recommend to take over my care and she suggested a new doctor that started in August right around the time I got diagnosed. She said he has an excellent bedside manner like my current oncologist does and he transferred from the Mayo clinic in Rochester, so that could be a plus. I still am very bummed. You put your life into some one's hands and trust them and then when they are going to leave, you feel as though your life will be endangered. At least that is how I feel. I can only hope and pray that I get another doctor who is just as good. Having a good doctor makes this journey so much better. Looking on the positive side, I guess it's always good to have a 2nd opinion on your treatment. Not that anything is going bad on mine, but a second set of eyes is not a bad idea.

I will update on Wednesday with my results. I just keep thinking positive thoughts that my heart will be super strong and I will be dancing with NED (no evidence of disease).

As some of you know Karyle passed away almost two weeks ago. I was unable to attend the funeral, but did go to the visitation. She had such a good life for the short time that she was here on this earth. Now I can only imagine how she is up in heaven dancing with Jesus. Please keep her family in your prayers as they continue to mourn. We will never understand why anyone gets this terrible disease of cancer, but she touched all of us some way or another.

The boys have been keeping us busy. Brock is eager to get outside and play as the weather continues to get nicer. Griffin is teething, so has not been the happiest camper lately. He is still funny as can be with his actions and baby talk. He is of course all over the place and into everything. He keeps us on our toes. I will try to post some recent pics next time.

I've heard from Stacie that some have signed up or donated for the Race for the Cure in May. If you haven't checked out the website you can also sleep in for the cure too, if you can't make it to the race. Every donation will help as this goes for breast cancer awareness, education, outreach, screening, preliminary treatment and research, which could not only save my life, but many others, so please donate if you can. The majority of the donations stays right here in Minnesota as the website stated. I will post the link again below this entry. Thanks for everyone who has signed up to participate and/or donated. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Here is the link again.
Go to http://www.komenminnesota.org/site3.aspx and click on "Register Online Now" if you can join us. If you are unable to make it but still would like to donate to Nicole's team, click on the middle icon "Donate Now".

It's important that you sign-up or donate under our team name, Team Nicole

2 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

Dearest Nicole,
Glad to hear you made it through your tests today. You are so amazing! I love your positive attitude about receiving a second opinion when you have a new oncologist. I am looking forward to hearing about great test results on Wed. You are always in my prayers. Stay strong!
Love ya,
Aunt Brenda

Anonymous said...

Nicole, it sounds like the new physician should be great if he's from Mayo. I'm sure you'll still be NED....see you for Easter. Love Mom & John