Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Successful Race for the Cure

Team Nicole successfully finished the Race for the Cure on Sunday. It was AWESOME and very inspirational to see 50,000 people come out on Mother's Day to raise money for breast cancer. I was emotional as many others were too as we were walking to the starting line, but as the race went along it got better. Hearing the song by Melissa Etheridge, I Run for Life, is what did it in for me. If you have never heard the song, I'm sure it would bring you to tears as well. We all wore our own t-shirts that we received many comments about. The girls wore Fight like a Girl and the boys wore Fight for your Girl t-shirts. I had a wonderful weekend spending time with my mom, my brother and his family and my aunt Sandy along with her family. All whom came up on Saturday and we spent some quality time together at pool at the hotel. Brock has successfully learned how to swim with a life jacket on, very exciting for him. The Nelson family (Bryan's sister Stacie's family) met us at the race on Sunday morning. All together we had 18 people on our team. I hope next year that I can double it, so all of you reading this better mark your calenders for Mother's Day next year. It will be a tradition from now on for my family to walk this. Although my husband suggested every other year, as he is a fisherman and this of course is on opening weekend. Guess who will win that argument:-)

Today I had another Herceptin infusion along with seeing the endocrinologist in regards to my abnormal finding on my pituitary gland. She said that she thinks that it is nothing serious. My bloodwork was normal and I have not had any other issues that would be related to my pituitary gland not functioning properly. I will follow up in 6 months, so I will have another brain MRI in November to make sure nothing changes. That of course was excellent news! I have another MUGA scan coming up in 2 weeks. Hoping that my heart will continue to stay strong so I can keep receiving the MIRACLE drug. I've posted some pictures from our wonderful weekend.


Team Nicole


Grandma Linny and Brock walking


Look at all those people!


Bryan and Griffin



Brock swimming


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coco,
Leader of our team, I was honored to participate in the race for the CURE! What a truly inspiring event, as you said with so many people supporting the same thing. I had a great time catching up with you and your family, your boys are so beautiful and bring smiles to me when I think of them. WHEN WILL YOU BE 4? ON MY BIRTHDAY!!! :) We'll be looking forward to next year walking the same walk with you and many more on your team. Love you Nicole.
Auntie Sandy

Aunt Brenda said...

Dear Nicole,
Sounds like you had an amazing turnout! I am so happy the race for the CURE was such a huge success. Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures. I talked to Tommy last night and he said it was a great weekend! Stay strong. Love you lots!
Aunt Brenda

Anonymous said...

Nicole,

What an awesome turnout for the race, will have to look into joining the walk next time!! You are an inspiration to all and such a strong willed woman.
God bless you Nicole and your family, keep up the fight!!!

Hugs....Kristal

Anonymous said...

We were so glad to hear you had such a good turn out for your team,sorry we couldn't join you this year,maybe next year.We also enjoyed the pictures of your family and all your friends that did the walk with you,looks like you had a great time for a good reason.Take care of your self and your family and god bless you.Keep on kickin cancers butt! Lov C & D Griffin