Monday, December 7, 2009

Inspirational October

It’s time to update again as I have visited my new oncologist a couple of weeks ago and had my blood work drawn for my usual tests. My blood work was all normal, tumor marker was 17.9. My liver function tests were a little higher then what they normally are, but still in the overall normal range. I was a little nervous on what my tumor marker was going to be due to that, but concluded that since I was on tamiflu for 10 days that is what contributed to my higher liver counts. The boys had influenza the first week in November and their pediatrician thought it would be smart for me to be on that for a precautionary. She’s so awesome, not only does she care for my children’s health, but mine as well.

I will not have another scan until January, which I will have a PET scan. I will be having a scan every 4 months and will alternate between the PET and CT scans, unless of course they need to have a better explanation if something looks concerning, then I may have both. But hopefully that won’t need to happen. Other than that my new oncologist will continue with the Herceptin and the Femera as prescribed by my previous oncologist. Overall I thought that he was good. He listened to my concerns, answered my questions, as I always have a lot of those each doctor visit. I requested that I have a colonoscopy done soon due to my family history with polyps and colon cancer. I was planning on having one after Griffin was born, but of course some other issues took priority. I will be having that in the middle of December.

I had some very inspirational weekends in October. Stacie, my mom, and I attended the annual Surviving with Style in St. Cloud. It is a fundraising event for the St. Cloud Breast Center. They have a nice lunch, silent action and a fashion show that has breast cancer survivors and their families model some winter fashions from the local department stores. Last year I was given free tickets to go. This year I thought that I would give back and go again. It was a lot of fun and met some breast cancer survivors that were my age, which was nice for me and also for them too. The following weekend was the breast cancer walk, Making Strides against Breast Cancer in St. Cloud. It was a cold, snowy morning, but we all had fun and I believe that there was around $35,000-$40,000 raised. A big thanks to all of you who donated to my team and we are looking forward to next year. I also attended the Woman of Faith conference in St. Paul. I recommend this to anyone who feels that they need a little push in life to attend or if you just want to bring yourself closer with your faith. I will be going again next year and I thank Stacie for inviting me to attend. It was a lot fun and to experience such a range of emotions in a short amount of time, from crying to laughing so much that you are crying, I loved every moment of it. The highlight of the weekend was seeing Steven Curtis Chapman sing and talk about how he and his family have dealt with the death of his daughter. It’s amazing how everyone deals with tragedies in their life and what they make of them. We all have struggles in life, but it is how we deal with them and what we make of them is what matters. That is my motto at least. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and thanks again for all the support you have given my family and I throughout the last year. We are truly grateful for all the wonderful, caring people that we have in our lives. We love you all and here’s to another new year of living life and living it CANCER FREE:-)!



Stacie, my mom Linda, and I at Surviving with Style


The survivors at the Making Strides against Breast Cancer Walk


Team Fight Like a Girl




Stacie, my mother-in-law Cheri and I at Women of Faith Conference

4 comments:

小蔣 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Juan Bermúdez Herrera said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aunt Brenda said...

Dearest Nicole,
It was so uplifting and refreshing reading your entry. What a great Christmas gift to receive such amazing test results. You are such an inspiration to others as you share your positive attitude with many. We love you very much and can't wait to see you during the holiday season.
Much love,
Aunt Brenda

Mellodee said...

I am the grandmother of almost 9 year old survivor of Hepatablastoma. My daughter has become very involved with CureSearch and the Hepatablastoma Foundation. In perusing blogs, I came across your. My attention was caught by "What Cancer Can Not Do". I would like your permission to copy it and give to my daughter. There are so few positive things about cancer, so its important to remember them. Nicely done!