Sunday, November 9, 2008

Genetic Consultation

Another week has flown by, where does the time go? I did end up staying home on Monday to rest for one more day, mother's orders. I agree though that I do need to take it easy and rest, so I won't have any set backs. I'm getting closer and closer to being done with my intense chemo treatments, only two more to go, then I will continue with the Herceptin until next August. I told Bryan that maybe for Valentines Day his wife may have some hair coming in, what a nice Valentines gift that would be for him. LOL.

I made an appointment that I thought I would never have to make this week. I will be having a genetic consultation in December. This will help in deciding what surgeries I will need done in the future. Such as having my ovaries taken out, or having a double mastectomy vs a lumpectomy. I'm sure I will not only get screened for the breast cancer genes, which is the BRCA 1 & BRCA 2, but also for other cancers, as unfortunately there seems to be a trend of cancer in my family on both sides. I joked with my mom when I received my forms that they wanted me to fill out with my family history. I have to include her aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins, and I told her that I only had 10 lines and I wasn't sure if that would be enough or not. It did state that an extra page could be submitted. Last year my mom was telling me about a gentleman that she met who had genetic testing done on himself because all of his family members have had cancer and I think most of them died at very early ages and he wanted to prevent it from happening to him. She suggested that I look into it at and she had a video about, I told her no thanks, I do not want to know my destiny, little did we know that the cancer was inside of me at the time.

I have my MUGA scan on Tuesday, so let's pray that my heart is still doing well, so I can continue with the Herceptin. I probably won't get my test result until my next appointment with the oncologist, which is on the 19th.

This is very long overdue, but I wanted to thank everyone that has donated to the benefit account. You are all so generous and thoughtful and we appreciate it more than words can say, it has helped out with medical bills that we did not anticipate to have, so thanks again to all of you.

5 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

Dearest Nicole,
I pray that you continue to have good results from your tests. I am sorry that you have some important decisions coming up that you will have to make. I continue to pray for your recovery and good health. Stay Strong! We love you.
Love,
Aunt Brenda

Anonymous said...

Nicole, glad to hear you took a day to rest. You need to do that more often. Love Mom & John

Anonymous said...

Nicole,Just thinking of you and all that you have been through this past year,we truely believe that god has been by your side all the way,and that you are one strong little lady,keep your chin up and remember we are praying for your full recovery very soon.Take care! love Crotty & Doris

Anonymous said...

I found your website. I'm am positive that you keep busy with two little boys/work/appts, ect. You've been heavy on my mind since I seen you this past week. You and your family are constantly in our prayers as you await your test results and of course, always! Please let me know if you need ANYTHING!!! I mean that too! We're only 2 miles away!

Anonymous said...

I heard of your story from Amy Goebel and just wanted to send some thoughts and prayers your way. I think we may have had some ECFE classes together last year with our boys. Unfortanately we are all to familar with the cancer rollercoaster as our son had leukemia when he was younger and my mom has breast cancer right now. It sounds like you are a fighter though and will make it through this! Hang in there!

Julie Williams
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lukewilliams