Thursday, September 18, 2008

Dropping tumor markers

As anticipated, today is the day the chemo side-effects hit the hardest. Nicole feels tired and sore. Her mom, Linda, is up until this weekend to help out. The hard part is getting Nicole to rest instead of getting up to help when the boys need something (hint, hint)!

Her scalp has been feeling weird and her hair has thinned, so Bryan shaved her head on Tuesday night. Brock said he was scared and wanted to stay in his room while they were using the clippers. Afterwards, he asked Nicole why she wanted to be a boy now. I guess in the eyes of a 3-year-old, hair is what makes the difference between boys and girls. Also, he thinks her wig is a Halloween costume!

Tumor marker is a substance found in blood and can be elevated when cancer is present in the body. The normal value should be below 30. Doctor's monitor the quantity of tumor marker to make sure treatment is working.
On August 21st Nicole's TM (tumor marker) was over 700. On Monday, it had gone down to the low 200's! That is a huge drop and shows how well this chemo is working. I was soooo excited to hear that!

Keep the prayers coming!

3 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

Dearest Nicole,
I am sorry to hear you are having more pain this time. I am sure you are beautiful without hair. You are one who shares her beauty from the inside out! I hope the Kimmie Doll and book will help Brock understand the hair issue. Amazing what comes out of the mouths of babes. What a blessing that your counts are down!! You continue to be lifted in prayer. Stay strong and know that we love you very much.
Love ya,
Aunt Brenda

georgiaholewa said...

Dear Nicole this is your old friend Georgia. I just want to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know. If there is a day you need some cleaning done or someone to watch the kids maybe Carol joanne and I can come over and help you with somethings. Just let me know.
Love, Georgia

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie,
I keep loosing the message I am sending, hope this one goes. It makes me feel so good to hear your doing so well, and now thinking about going back to work. What a Lady, God is good. I love your picture with out hair, you are beautiful, and you look more like your dad then ever. Hope little Griffin continues to feel better each day and soon sleeping all night.
Love you bushels, Grandma H.